Trash Collection Information
- The current trash collector for the Town of Smyrna is Waste Industries.
- Town trash is collected on Tuesday. All trash containers must be at curbside prior to 6 AM. Collections are made between 5:30 a.m. and 6 p.m.. No trash shall be placed curbside earlier than 4:30 p.m. the day before a scheduled pickup day.
- Collections are only made at curbside. In town home developments, this means at the street side of your parking space.
- No trash will be collected on the following legal holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. When a legal holiday falls on a collection day, the trash will be picked up on the next regular collection day.
- Trash containers must be of rigid construction with tight-fitting lids and must not exceed a maximum capacity of 65 gallons or a maximum weight of 100 pounds when full. The collector is not obligated to accept trash in containers that exceed these limits or which contain materials too heavy to be supported by the container.
- Note: Commercial or residential properties using multiple 65-gallon trash containers, in addition to the annual collection fee, a separate annual fee shall be assessed for each additional trash container. The annual collection fee for each additional trash container shall be 50% of the annual collection fee for the use of just one 65-gallon trash container. Commercial customers who generate more trash or prefer to deal directly with a collector may do so but will be required to provide proof of this contract before the town will discontinue billing.
- All trash must be in weatherproof containers with the exception of items (such as newspapers, magazines, or other similar materials) that may be securely tied in bundles. Paper bags and cardboard boxes are not acceptable containers and the collector is not obligated to take trash if it is in a paper bag or cardboard box.
- The collector is not required to pick up trash that has been scattered by animals or wind. A few drops of household ammonia will keep animals from tearing open containers.
- Large, bulky objects will be collected along with regular trash. Large, bulky objects are those used in the typical home such as stoves, furniture, washers/dryers, and some toys. Not included in this category are waste materials from home alterations, construction demolition or repair, hazardous waste, tires, combustible compounds, or abandoned cars. This service is not available for commercial accounts.
- Refrigerators, freezers, and other items containing freon will be collected will be picked up if placed curbside with your other trash. By state law, the doors must be removed from freezers and refrigerators.
- Carpet and carpet padding must be cut into lengths less than four feet and securely tied in bundles weighing less than 50 pounds each. If properly prepared and placed at curbside, these will be removed along with regular trash.
- According to town ordinance, the collector is not required to take any material greater than four feet in length except as provided for above.